Friday, April 11, 2014

Contemplating Life in Distant States

I love California. It truly has everything: obviously the coast and great weather, but also mountains, farms, and desert; big cities, small towns, beautiful countryside. On the coast, it's always spring with temperatures that range from cool to warm. There's nothing like the sound of pounding surf as you gaze from the pier up to the mountains; palm trees silhouetted against the hills as wave after wave crashes into the shore.

California truly has it all. Every time I visit, I ask myself why I don't live there.

So naturally, Clyde and I recently discussed moving to Minnesota.

Yep, you read correctly. Circumstances at Clyde's job were pointing to an opportunity in Minneapolis. When invited to visit, we went to check it out for ourselves.

Minnesota is no slouch as states go. It also has big cities, small towns, and beautiful countryside. While not particularly noted for mountains, there are lots of lakes and forests in which to experience nature. There's no ocean, but Lake Superior is certainly big and wavy.

The only problem with Minnesota really is just that it's so terribly freaking cold. Everyone we met seemed shell shocked by this past winter's extremely low temperatures. I've never seen an entire state so weary of snow. Even a local TV meteorologist, typically good natured and upbeat, humorlessly cursed the few inches that had fallen as we arrived. With exasperation, he described how the snow had all melted, only to reappear. He couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again before spring finally asserted itself.

I remember living in eastern Nebraska when the snow stayed on the ground all winter and it never warmed up and you could go for weeks without seeing the sun. Ice on the road never melted, it just wore out if you were lucky. It can only be colder in states further north.

I've been to Minnesota many times. I like Minneapolis very much. It features the advantages of a fine city, including the arts and liberal minded people. The airport is conveniently located in town (unlike some other airports I could name ... Denver International) with light rail connecting the terminals to downtown. I already have friends there. I could live there.

Oh, and Saint Paul is very nice too.

I'm sure Saint Paul always appreciates being mentioned as a casual afterthought.

But in the end, the moon and stars realigned with the juxtapositions of work and home. It looks like we're staying put for the time being.

At least I am.

Clyde actually will be relocating soon. He'll be moving in with me and the cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment