Sunday, August 11, 2013

Teachers: It's Back to School Time

Teachers on Facebook are whining about going back to work after having a few weeks off during the summer.

Someone I know who works in the public schools wonders what the rest of us, who didn't get the summer off, must think. Since I used to be a teacher and now work in the corporate world, I feel qualified to address her concern.

I understand the whining. Sure, I'd like to have summers off, and two or three weeks at Christmas - sorry, winter break, and many other major holidays now that you mention it. But as much as I enjoyed school teaching, I think I'll hold on to my office job.

Unlike most teachers, I spend most of my work day sitting down. I take my lunch when it's convenient, and if I return a few minutes late, all hell will not break loose.

Since I'm not a teacher, I can go to the bathroom when I need to go - I don't have to wait for a break between classes if I'm lucky enough to get away from students who need me.

When I have a doctor's appointment I can usually slip away for an hour without much problem.

I may not have summers off, but I do get some paid time off which I can take any time during the year. I actually enjoy vacations in the off season when the kids are all in school.

I work in a comfortable office in my own private cubicle. I can pick my nose without being seen. I can make a quick phone call to the cat's veterinarian. I even listen to the radio sometimes while I work.

My office is safe. There is no gang activity, and very little violence.

I don't have to deal with parents and politicians who think my job is easy.

My office has plenty of  paper and pens. I don't have to bring supplies from home because there's not enough in the budget for what I need..

And while we're at it, not all teachers get the summer off. Besides summer school, many teachers go back to further their education on their own time and on their own dollar.

So if you hear teachers whining about summer ending, give them a break. During the school year, sometimes they have to hold it all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment