Thursday, September 2, 2010

Muggy Night on the East Coast

Hannah’s Journey Stirs a Memory

If you’ve logged on for some of my weekly snark, sorry to disappoint. The changes that inevitably accompany September have me in a reflective mood.

August 1985

La Guardia’s runway steams as midnight radio plays from a previously distant city
A cool bath in rare silence offers momentary relief from a muggy New York night
Exhaustion
But who can sleep?
The future swells unending, limitless potential
Anything can happen
A whole life lies ahead

September Present Day

Open windows welcome breezes on a dry mile high evening
Yesterday I would be delighted – everything wanted then is now achieved!
Internet oldies echo from the past and a hot shower soothes stiff bones
Sleep looming long before midnight, fade to reflections of the past
Now is good but wanting something new
Excitement to look forward to

From a distance, I watch enviously as a new generation deplanes in the east
Unimaginable humidity forever marks this moment of infinite potential
Anything can happen
A whole life lies ahead

1 comment:

  1. August 1985! And I was there. I spent the previous day crying because I had gotten a really bad haircut and I was so embarrassed to be arriving from the midwest to NYC with such a totally unhip do.

    ReplyDelete