Tuesday, June 11, 2013

You Just Have to Set Priorities

I thought I'd take a break from ranting about my new house and all its problems. Even I have trouble complaining that much. Instead, with the move behind me, I thought I'd step back and focus on what's really important.

For example, I think my life would be better if I was more attentive to my spirituality. I've been told that you don't really get the full benefit of meditation until you do it for at least an hour a day.

See, you have to make room in your life for what really matters.

Of course health is important too. Without health, you have nothing. My doctor says I must exercise a half hour a day to ensure heart health.

In addition, a good diet which requires fresh vegetables and lean meats also promotes health. It's too expensive to eat out for healthy food all the time, so you'd best prepare your salads and chicken breasts at home. Between the shopping (which you do more often because fresh stuff doesn't keep) and meal preparation time, that averages out to about 45 minutes per day.

If you have a lawn, you probably spend a couple hours a week keeping it nice and that's good exercise.

And rest. You need plenty of rest. The average adult requires way more sleep than they usually get. Eight hours is usually not realistic, so let's say seven hours per day.

And of course you have to work. It's just a given that we spend a minimum of eight hours per day at our jobs. If you live in a metropolitan area, you probably spent at least an hour in the car driving to and from the office daily - more on days when you have errands to run or evening activities to attend.

This is the stuff that matters.

I don't know what the recommended time is that you spend with your spouse and/or kids. My feeling is that most people cut back on this to accommodate more urgent activities. Of course if you chauffer a couple kids around to music lessons or soccer practice, that eats up some hours.

And at some point the laundry needs to be done.

And then there's the more optional stuff. Like Facebook. You can live without it for one day, but you can really fall behind if you're not careful. It takes time to read all the posts about the kid of someone you don't remember going to high school with. And if you click links to articles about creeping communism in the Obama administration, and videos of the most adorable kittens ever, you've been on line a good hour. And that doesn't include Instagram, Pin Interest, and the other stuff you have to check.

And be honest: you know you spend at least two hours a day watching television. It's imperative that you check the weather for tomorrow and keep track of who's getting voted off whatever reality program your office mates are into.

It seems like a lot, but we can have it all if we really try. You just have to set your priorities. And of course you have to make everything a top priority.

Screw it. I'm going to order a pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment