Sunday, December 16, 2012

Perky Coworker Reminds Me I'm Old


She sings a chipper "Good morning!" to me every day. I grunt in reply.

She literally texts her friends while she works, with no apparent distraction. I have to wear headphones so I'm not distracted by her giggling with other twenty-somethings nearby.

Either I'm too old or she's too young. She's 24. I'm 50 next week.

When she was born in 1988, I was older than she is now.

I have t-shirts that pre-date her. Most of my pots and pans were purchased before she existed, with S&H Green Stamps no less. I guarantee she doesn't know what Green Stamps are. If you don't know, Google it - it's how we used to get free stuff before credit card rewards programs.

In 1988 I was in graduate school, already jaded and cynical.

In 1988, Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted. I'm just now getting around to watching it.

I did watch a show called Thirtysomething, about some old people in their 30s.

In 1988 I also watched the Golden Girls. They were funny old ladies back then. When I watch the same episodes now, they seem much younger - how did that happen?

The youngsters I work with don't seem much bothered by our age differences. It's my hang up. They, like I, work hard and are deserving of respect.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should clean out my spice cupboard - some of that ground basil may remember the 1980s as well.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Green Stamps. I loved filling the books for my mom. Did you have a Green Stamps store in Scottsbluff? There was one in Kearney.

    ReplyDelete