Thursday, July 21, 2011

Nose Hair Signals That the End is Near

It's a delicate operation. One false move and it hurts. A lot. Using tweezers would be worse. I use little tiny scissors which don't take out the whole hair, root and all, but merely trim it down so I have to do it again in a few days. 

Lately, I've noticed something new. Some of the nostril hairs that I’m trimming are white. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. I have lots of white hair in other places.  Where did it all come from?  The hair in my ears is white. My beard has been white for a long time. My chest hair is turning white. The only place it's not white is on top of my head, and that's only because there really isn't much there.
It's not like I'm surprised to be getting older. True, I forget my exact age sometimes and have to subtract the year I was born from the current year. Really, objectively, I feel lucky to be getting old. By many measures, I shouldn't have survived this long. But here I am, saving for my retirement, wondering if universal health care will be a reality by the time I stop working.
I always told myself I'd age gracefully, without complaint, without regrets. Age is just a number, I always thought. I should welcome age and the wisdom it brings. Instead, I find myself continually surprised that the years are creeping up on me - and the decades are flying by.

Coming of age moments happen all the time.
For example, I occasionally go to the Village Inn near my office for breakfast. I've noticed that the same old guys are in there every morning. They talk with the servers like true pals, and say hello to each other by name. More often than not, the server doesn't even need to ask what they want to eat. She just brings it out. Kind of like how Betty knows to always bring me a coffee, no cream, and a large water. I kind of laughed at these old guys until it slowly dawned on me that I AM ONE OF THEM.

Face it: getting older is tough. Here are some of the frustrations I'm having as I age gracefully:

  • Things I did to my body years ago are coming back to haunt me. I’ll spare you the details.
  • I can't see.
  • My memory isn’t exactly slipping, but I vividly recall a meal I had in 1987 - and I can’t remember anything about yesterday.
  • I'm watching my friends age too. How can they look so much older while I still look the same?
  • I'm working with people half my age who, for example, don't know the origination of the "cc" in email (if you're younger than 35, I should tell you that we used to type each letter by hand, using carbon paper to make carbon copies (hence the cc) because we couldn’t just print another document.
  •  When predictions of a disastrous future are made, it is with guilty relief that I think to myself how great it is that I'll be dead before it happens.
Which brings me to the most startling thing about getting older. It is the thing that nobody talks about: the realization that you are going to die. With more than half your life behind you, time is limited. If you've always wanted to do something, now is the time to do it.

It's just a shame that I have to spend the rest of my life trimming unwanted hair from my facial orifices.

1 comment:

  1. Bill, this is so "right on point" I can't believe it! If you'll allow, I have a story to share.

    I didn't go to any of the high school reunions. This last one was a milestone, the 30th. Soni, our organizer, sent out a request that if you wanted a bound address book and printed photo, to please enclose a check. I did, thinking that would be nice to have.

    Shortly after the reunion, I got a letter back from Soni thanking everyone for a fun time, and also stating that the Class of '80 had entered the 21st Century; if you ordered the paper products, your check was being returned as the book and photo are now digital, with a link to a pdf file, and to a photo site. I downloaded the address book, then clicked the link for the picture. After a while, a picture popped up on my screen of LOTS OF REALLY OLD PEOPLE! I had a good laugh at myself...

    By the way, next year is my 2nd annual 49th birthday.

    ReplyDelete