Friday, June 18, 2010

Postblog from Home: Final Thoughts on the Excellent Adventure

My goal was to spontaneously travel to someplace different, by car. I almost succeeded. The spontaneity fell by the wayside early in the trip. Hopefully planning ahead isn’t such a terrible character trait after all.

My selection of destinations may seem a little odd: a tour exploring the haunts and homes of Abraham Lincoln seems like the trip a couple of elderly geography teachers might take. Hodgensville, Kentucky, Springfield, Illinois, and of course Lincoln, Nebraska are not “hot” destinations for the typical single gay man. But can you see me on a gay cruise in the Caribbean with all those shirtless posers? I might enjoy watching, but I’d be too self-conscious to talk to anyone.

I certainly didn’t mind traveling alone, but I would have enjoyed a companion who would also nerd out about the park ranger presentation at a national historic site.

Why can’t a tour company offer a gay bus tour of presidential museums and libraries? Now that’s something I could get into, and there would be something to talk about with the other gay nerds.

The good news is that I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and as should happen after a trip away, I’ve returned with a renewed appreciation of my home. In fact, driving into Colorado at dusk was breath taking with the sun setting behind the mountains, and the air dry enough to crack the windows open and smell the fresh cut hay along the South Platte River. It was the perfect way to end a trip in which every state was beautiful in its own way.

Be sure to check out my pictures on Facebook. While not National Geographic worthy, they’ll give you a taste of what I saw.

Meanwhile, I’m starting to think about where I should go on my next excellent adventure.

1 comment:

  1. You could start a new business: Gay Nerd Tours! I think you've got something there. (But could a straight gal come along? Sounds fun.)

    ReplyDelete