Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Open Up that Golden Gate – Maybe (Part 2)

Last week, I announced that I was seriously considering a move to Southern California. This week, I promised some pros and cons. On impulse, I created a survey and asked my Facebook friends to comment. This was not a scientific poll. But it also wasn’t a Fox News poll where every question was completely slanted towards a predetermined result.

I am impressed by the thoughtful responses to the survey. For the most part, folks seem happy where they live. Coloradoans in particular are passionate about their home. I was also touched at the amount of care expressed for me. I have some truly wonderful friends, coast to coast.

Here are some of the data from the survey:
  • 63% of the respondents came from Colorado/Wyoming/Western Nebraska (in other words the “local” region); 16% came from the west coast; 5% came from Nebraska (east of the Panhandle), and 16% from somewhere else. I’m sure the fact that the majority of respondents are local affected the percentages in the rest of the survey.
  • 68% prefer four distinct seasons; 21% agree that Colorado has only two seasons (summer and winter, all year around); 11% like the idea of green grass throughout the year.
  • Given a choice, 68% prefer the mountains; 27% prefer the ocean; 5% don’t take advantage of living near either one.
  • For solitude, 26% prefer the beach and 74% prefer the mountains.
The best part was the advice written to me. While anonymous, I have a pretty good idea of who many of you are.

Excerpts:
  • “I think Bill should do what he wants … and stop paying attention to what I say in the comments section of his blog.”---- Oh, by the way Phil, you do seem to comment more than others on the blog, but I think that’s because Blogspot makes it difficult to leave comments unless you’re a scientist or engineer.
  • “I cherish seasons, have never met a natural wonder grander than the Rockies, and (also dream) of relocating to Southern California.”
  • “If you’re bored, I say get out. You can always come back.”
  • “Getting off my mountain bike on a quiet trail in Boulder County may be the only place I’ve ever found that I can just sit still and “be” for a while. If you haven’t found that place ... yet … keep looking until you do.”
  • “DON’T MOVE DON’T MOVE DON’T MOVE DON’T MOVE DONT MOVE”
  • “Just don’t move to (someplace in Nebraska). 12 distinct seasons a year, secluded places to get away … but you need them … because of the closed mindedness that is such a part of the culture.”
  • “Do what your heart tells you to do.”
  • “So Cal is expensive! Traffic is even worse than Denver. Denver has more sun than So Cal. The people are nicer in Colorado … You can almost always see the mountains (from anywhere) in Denver (but) You need to be at the beach to see the ocean.”
  • “Rattle your cage.”
  • “I love the ocean, but having grown up … where the seasons NEVER change, I’d never live in a place without seasons again … it overrides my love of the ocean and indifference toward the mountains.”
  • “You would miss the mountains!”
  • “Move to California!!!”
  • “Just do it! … Life is truly an accumulation of your experiences … The mountains (are different) in CA, but there still are mountains and they’re really beautiful.”
  • “Be careful about trying to make your get away place home.”
  • “Plenty of fun in the sun in California, just find a place where you aren’t living on top of others … there is (also) all the good wine and wine country.”
  • “Do what your heart tells you to do … the grass always looks greener someplace else … you will find yourself in a tough housing market with high pollution in a highly body conscious gay community where it is tough to make new friends …”
  • “Your soul belongs in Colorado.”
  • “I would miss you … but you have to do what makes you happy.”
  • “Reach for the sun.”
While the conclusions are not all in agreement, this gives me some good material with which to think. Sometimes it helps just to know that I have the option to do something. If I don’t feel stuck, I’m less anxious to make a change.

Meanwhile, here are some of my responses to other comments received:
  • Yes, I know about the earthquakes, but when the Yellowstone supervolcano blows, we're all doomed anyway.
  • I'm pretty sure there are doctors in California. Also Mormons.
  • Orange County in particular is heavily Republican. You can't even swing an underfunded social program without hitting a Republican. But I've lived among those people before. I can do it again.
  • No, Alaska is not under consideration, no matter who resides there.
  • I wouldn't move to California without a huge increase in income. I am not cheap.
Just wait until I get into one of my periodic fantasies about moving back to Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment