Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Stuff that Bugs Me - A BillsWeek List

Ever have one of those days where everything, but EVERYTHING, got on your nerves? I was in a terrible mood yesterday when I banged these out. I'm better now. I promise to do a nice list soon.
  • How many years have we had those automated checkouts at the supermarket? And people STILL don't know how to use them? I hate being in line behind a bunch of shoppers who look at the thing like it's from outer space and have to ask the clerk for assistance every step of the way ...
  • Denver drivers. Denver has a mix of big city speeders and country bumpkins driving on the same freeway. The person going 20 mph is in the far left lane and the rest of us have to pass on the right, only to come up behind a pickup loaded with lawn equipment going 35, as if looking for a lawn! I enjoy my annual trips to southern California where the drivers are skilled and consistent - except when I have to suddenly slow down to think about whether to take that exit or wait til the next one. Geez people, I can hear that your horns are working.
  • Speaking of freeways, more often than not, the person driving slow in the middle lane is on the phone. HANG UP and frickin' drive! What's so important that you have to have that conversation now? Sometimes, they manage to balance coffee or a hairbrush while simultaneously driving and yapping.
  • Speaking of driving, when did stop signs lose their meaning? I go nuts when I'm at a corner, appropriately stopped, when the person approaching the intersection from the direction that doesn't have to stop, also stops, and waves at me to go ahead. JUST DRIVE LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO and everyone will get where they're going.
  • Glen Beck
  • People in my neighborhood who let their cats go outside where they are exposed to feline leukemia, FIV, foxes (yes, that's right), and now even coyotes, and worst of all, cars.
  • AM "News" radio which is really talk radio, actually "yell" radio, where ignorant people call in and pollute the airwaves with their stupidity. Why is their opinion worth broadcasting instead of the opinion of an expert on the subject?
  • Same for cable TV "news."
  • For that matter, why is just anyone allowed to have a blog so they can bitch and moan on the internet?
  • Why does Internet have to be capitalized? It's not a real place, nor a proper noun - it's the internet, for crying out loud.
  • Daylight savings time
  • Clergy persons who take credit for all the new people who've joined a church, but none of the responsibility for those who have left.
  • Special interest scare tactics that make people fear universal health insurance, which would actually be good for everyone.
  • Wal Mart
  • Proponents of "Family Values" who's definition of family is too narrow to include many of the people I know. It's too bad I can't say I have family values because people will think I'm a bigot, when in fact, I just happen to value my family.
  • Tofu disguised as meat. Come on, I mean really.
  • Reality TV. Reality my ass.
  • Donating to a political party or candidate only to be hit up endlessly and constantly with emails saying, "just a little more money will ensure ..." I know they need it, I just hate being bugged for it all the time.
  • Speaking of donations, my university calls me every night at 6:30 to ask me to increase my annual gift. While I fully intend to give, a reminder letter or one phone call should be enough. If I haven't answered their call (because I recognize the 402 area code number) 28 days in a row, why do they keep trying?
  • FOX News. Fair and balanced my ass.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same issue with my college (oops, they are now a 'university') - I have to screen most (303) 458-xxxx numbers (sorry, Regis!).

    ReplyDelete