Sunday, July 19, 2015

POSTBLOG FROM JUNEAU: Aboard the Sea Lion, Jumping Fish, Practicing with Life Preservers

 At last, we are aboard are home for the next seven days, the National Geographic Sea Lion. It's a tiny vessel, with just 60 people aboard, comparedIt's a tiny vessel, with just 60 people aboard, compared to the giant  cruise ships docked next to us that hold 6000. It reminds me of the S.S. Minnow of Gilligan's Island fame.

 We have received our emergency and abandon ship training, mastering the putting on of life preservers, and we've had our first meal on board. Now, Clyde and I are settling down into our small but comfy cabin awaiting the midnight launch.  Tomorrow we will wake up in a fjord somewhere.

 But the wildlife experiences have already started.  Right next to the ship, fish are jumping. Some of them multiple times, like skipping rocks. I don't know what kind of fish they are or why they are jumping. We will have to ask one of the naturalists aboard.

 If you are following our travels on Facebook, I'm afraid I have bad news. Because of the slowness and expense of the Internet connection on board, I won't be posting anymore pictures until the end of the trip.   I will, however, try to keep up the daily post blogs.

For now, bon voyage.


No comments:

Post a Comment