Friday, July 24, 2015

POSTBLOG FROM ALASKA: Up Close and Personal with Sea Lions

If you wave your arms, claimed the naturalist on our Zodiac, the sea lions might follow us.

We did, and they did.

Today we took the Zodiacs out to a narrow channel where the open ocean meets the inland passage. The tide moves very fast, and the water is teaming with salmon on their way to spawn. The salmon, in turn, attract the sea lions. Hundreds of them.

I’ve watched sea lions awkwardly lumber on the beach or rocks before, but today we were out in the open ocean watching them swim gracefully and playfully. Occasionally we’d see one catch a fish and slam it against the water in order to break it so they could swallow its pieces.

Even though the wind threatened to blow my hat off, and the rain stung my face, I didn't care. It was so very amazing.

We also saw sea otters floating on their backs in the channel eating sea urchins, using rocks to break them open. And, of course (yawn), we observed more humpback whales. Tonight we saw three humpbacks sleeping at the surface. I actually never tire of seeing humpbacks. I do hope we’ll get to see an orca.


No comments:

Post a Comment