Saturday, October 5, 2013

Some People Aren't People People

Apparently I'm not a people person.

I sort of knew this already, but it feels somehow different to have it confirmed by someone else. It came to my attention when a new employee was marched around by a supervisor to meet everyone in the office. When they got to me and Michael, my coworker, the supervisor explained that if the new guy had any questions, he'd better ask Michael because Bill is not, "a people person."

Hmmm.

Well, I am an analytic introvert, so I had to think about it for a minute before I decided I was insulted. By the time I had a witty retort, they'd already walked away.

Even if he was just kidding, the comment kind of touched a nerve.

In my family, being good with people was highly valued. With all the medical, education, and mental health professionals in the family, my dad wondered why I was his only kid who worked in a corporation just for money. It's not that I didn't try teaching school and working in the ministry. I just ended up, for a variety of reasons, working in corporate America and spending more time with computers than with other human beings.

I may not be the most effusive person in the world. I know I have a reputation for being "standoffish" and "aloof." Part of this is because I don't care to hang around the water cooler and gossip or discuss last night's reality TV. Don't even ask me about the local sports teams. I usually keep my mouth shut when others pointlessly blab their political opinions. I don't express every thought I think or feeling I feel. I'd rather get to work and get it done so I can leave early, not that that ever happens.

Also, I'm shy. It's not that I don't want to talk to you, it just takes time to get up the gumption.

I'm actually an extreme introvert but that doesn't mean I don't care for people or that I can't interact. It certainly doesn't mean I don't have feelings.

But I'm not unfriendly. I've cracked the odd joke or two. I certainly wouldn't mind answering the questions of a new employee.

You know who's not good with people? That jerky supervisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment