Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Globe-Trotting Boyfriend Inspires World Travel

I could follow my boyfriend to the ends of the earth.

And that's not just passionate hyperbole.

Clyde is actually going to China, Thailand, Viet Nam, and Qatar in the next few months for his job.

When he called me last week from Beijing, it blew my mind to think we were as far away from each other as it is possible to be while still on this planet. As a genetic Nebraskan, naturally, I wanted to know what the weather was like over in China and what he had been eating. In case you're wondering, the weather was cold, and as for food, I was sorry I asked. Clyde's vivid descriptions of the crunchy insects and wriggling sea creatures for sale on Beijing streets left me a little queasy.

Nausea not withstanding, as Clyde's significant other with available PTO, I am in the enviable position of tagging along occasionally. So next month, I'll be accompanying him to another part of China, Hong Kong.

It's been 10 years since I stepped outside of the United States. Usually, my universe exists between central Denver and suburban Highlands Ranch where I work. I go to California once or twice a year and occasionally venture into the foreign lands of Wyoming and Nebraska.

Clyde says Hong Kong is a good first place to visit in Asia. The city-state welcomes people from the west and signs are often in English so you can get around with less chance of getting lost.

I am excited about my first trip to Asia, but I'm a little nervous too. Clyde assures me there will be plenty to eat that doesn't wiggle on the way down. But what clothes should I wear? I'll probably want to avoid the usual American outfit of short-shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. What will it cost to use my iPhone? What about jet-lag? What if the Chinese don't like me?

This is an incredible opportunity to see a distant place with someone who's already familiar with it. In return, I have offered to sweep Clyde away for a weekend in Nebraska. Can you believe he's never been there?

No comments:

Post a Comment