Thursday, October 20, 2016

A New Prairie Home Companion: Big Shoes to Fill

If you think Saturday Night Live hasn't been funny since the 70's, you probably won't listen to A Prairie Home Companion this year.

For the first time in 40 years, Garrison Keillor is not hosting the popular public radio show. In his place is mandolin player, Chris Thile. Can you imagine how difficult it must be to replace Garrison Keillor? Mr. Thile must have been a nervous wreck as he hosted his first show on October 15.

I've listened to PHC for many years. I've enjoyed the understated sense of humor. I relate to the midwestern sensibility of Lake Wobegon. I love the public service messages about ketchup. I laugh out loud at the Professional Organization of English Majors.

Most of this, I've heard in the car. I don't think I've ever heard the full two hours all the way through. I listen to most of it in bits and pieces on my way to dinner on a Saturday evening or to the store during the replay on Sunday.

To be honest, I haven't always been in the mood for the musical performances. They have tended to be overly folksy and too sentimental. It's not that I haven't liked the style of music, it's just that a little goes a very long way. In fact, over the years, if I've turned on the car radio and PHC has been in the middle of a twangy number, I'd usually switch to the other public radio channel to see if Wait Wait Don't Tell Me was on.

If, on the other hand, if it was Guy Noir solving a case, or Dusty and Lefty out on the range, I'd listen with rapt attention.

So, like everyone else, I was curious about Chris Thile and how he'll do at the helm of the show which has been, for all these years, Garrison's heart and soul. It's kind of like getting a new minister at church. Or a new teacher. Will we like him? Will he be as nice as the old one? Will he be funny? Will he measure up?

He probably won't.

Face it. Public radio listeners, particularly those who listen to PHC, are old and we old people don't like change. We always think it was better with the original cast - like with Saturday Night Live. Chris Thile doesn't stand a chance, no matter how good he is.

So on my way home from church the other day, the Sunday morning replay of the previous night's Companion came on, featuring the young new host. Much to my delight, it was the beginning of a comedy sketch. The captain of a sinking ship was radioing in for help and an English major was receiving the call, correcting the grammar of the captain's pleas. Hilarious!

Then, as Chris Thile began to introduce a musical number, I reached for the button to change the channel. But instead of a folksy, sentimental twang, I heard a sort of rocky, jazzy tune by Lake Street Dive. I listened to the whole song, and the next. And then I arrived at home.

Maybe the new Prairie Home Companion won't be so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment