Thursday, January 30, 2014

No Escape from Sports and Television

A couple of regular readers have mentioned that they are looking forward to my detailed analysis of the Super Bowl this week. Sarcasm notwithstanding, it's hard to avoid the news that the Denver Broncos are one game away from NFL championship. The whole state is awash in Broncomania. Even the company where I work is having a "sports attire" day on Friday. I can hardly contain my excitement. Of course, along with any celebratory event at the office, there is a sharp reminder to adhere to the dress code. We don't want anyone taking fun too far.

Actually, the Super Bowl has little effect on me except it might be easier to get around during the game. Perhaps we could go to a movie or something.

Just because I'm not interested, however, doesn't mean I can escape from it. Thanks to the ubiquity of TV, I am exposed to all kinds of non-stop sports.

It's not enough that Americans have more than one television per person at home. Or that we can watch anywhere using our mobile communication devices. There are screens in every restaurant, waiting room, bar, and everywhere else you can think of.

A favorite eatery in Lodo has a TV on literally every wall, sometimes more than one, so that no matter where you sit, you can't help but see "the game" or whatever's on. Last time I was there, I counted 13 from the booth where I sat. Basketball, soccer, and hockey were on view, along with a broadcast of American's Funniest Home Videos for balance. It was notable only for the absence of American football.

Even the nice restaurant where I took my boyfriend, Clyde, for his birthday, had a big screen with ESPN on the wall. I watched one man ignore his wife and kids repeatedly so he could check the score. Shaking my head in disgust, I missed what Clyde was saying to me.

On my weekly early morning visit to Village Inn, where it's just me and a bunch of old guys eating breakfast (yes, yes, I'm one of the old guys ...) the server, Regan, knows to sit me as far from the television as possible. But still I am never out of view of highlights from last night's game.

My favorite Indian restaurant has a TV in the corner where they used to show Bollywood music videos. It provided the perfect festive atmosphere in which to eat Indian food. But they have switched over to the usual whatever sports thing is on.

This isn't just an American thing. Waiting to board a plane in the Tokyo airport recently, we were practically forced by the placement of a big screen in the boarding area, to watch sumo wrestling. Man oh man, you can really see a lot of sumo wrestler details on those giant, high definition TVs.

At least at Annie's, on East Colfax, they show old movies sometimes instead of sports so that Clyde and I can guess who the actor is instead of what team is playing.

Clyde suggests having those little individual TVs like they do on some airplanes which you watch using headphones, viewing without disturbing others.

Actually, that already happens at my gym. Some of the exercise equipment has individualized screens where you can change your own channel and watch what you want. It can make a 30 minute cardio session go a lot faster. And even if you don't have your own TV on the treadmill, just look up. There are 10 hanging from the ceiling to keep you entertained while you work out. Never fear, the locker room has a couple too, in case you go too long without screen time.

No comments:

Post a Comment