Saturday, August 7, 2010

Oblivious to Nature? Stay Inside!

Though there’s still plenty of heat left this year, mornings are cooler and the days are getting shorter. Some local schools are already in session. It’s occurring to people that summer is winding down.

This morning as I took my weekly 5:00 a.m. hike out at Cherry Creek State Park, there seemed to be more joggers and cyclists than usual. Surprisingly, out on the water in addition to the rowing club, speed boats with water-skiers and even jet skis were starting to pollute the otherwise peaceful morning quiet with their noise.

By 6:00 I heard booming announcements from a loudspeaker near the marina. Much as I wanted to continue my communion with the prairie grass, cottonwoods, and pelicans, I decided to hightail it back to the car before the race or marathon or whatever it was came my way.

I understand that I have to share the park. Situated smack in the middle of the metro area, CCSP is the most used state park in Colorado. Considering the miles of surrounding urban concrete, it’s remarkable that just 20 minutes away from my house (when traffic is light), I can be in the middle of a forest observing deer (today I saw a youngster with spots), or watching the breeze blow the rushes from side to side as all awareness of the city slips away.

Until about 9:00. Even when it’s too cold to water-ski, the shooting range is open. I’m not even sure where it is, but I definitely hear the “pop” and “boom” of individuals using that part of the park to exercise their second amendment rights.

A little later, a high-pitched whir can be heard. It’s the model airplane people, using their area to buzz and dip their miniature flying craft like prehistoric dragonflies.

Down the road a stretch, dogs joyously run, leash-free.

I guess it’s great that so many can use the park for such varying activities. If I finish hiking and meditating before 7:00 a.m., I can pretend I have the whole place, more or less to myself, and good for all those other people for using their state park the rest of the day.

I do have a question, however. Why do so many joggers and cyclists have headphones on? Why on earth would they listen to iPods when the distinctive sound of meadowlarks echo across the plains? Wouldn’t they be safer if they could hear me driving up behind them as they take up two thirds of the road?

Today I observed a couple run right by a startled deer. These people paid no more attention than they would to a squirrel in the yard.

I was raised to appreciate the sighting of a deer. All through my childhood, if one of us pointed out the car window and said, “Deer!” all conversation would stop. A couple of us would whisper, “Where? Where?” and everyone would look as long as the timid creature could be seen.

Now if one of us had to pee, good luck getting that car stopped, but I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, people wearing headphones out in the woods.

Here’s a thought. If you’re oblivious to nature, just stay inside so it’s less crowded for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment